NGT allows Sterlite to access Thoothukudi administrative unit

New Delhi: The National Green Tribunal (NGT) today allowed mining major Vedanta to access the administrative unit inside its Sterlite copper plant at Thoothukudi in Tamilnadu.

A bench, headed by chairperson A K Goel, however, said the company would not have access to its production unit and directed the district magistrate to ensure this.

The green panel also directed the Tamil Nadu Pollution Control Board to submit data on pollution around the Sterlite plant within 10 days and posted the matter for hearing on 20 August.

At the outset, the bench, also comprising Justice Jawad Rahim and S P Wangdi, made it clear that it would hear Vedanta's plea on merits and rejected the State government's submission that the tribunal did not have the jurisdiction to hear the case.

On 30 July, the court had refused to grant any interim relief to Vedanta, which challenged the Tamilnadu government's order to permanently shut down its Sterlite copper plant in Thoothukudi, even as the firm termed the government action "political".

On 5 July, the tribunal had issued notices to the State government and pollution control board, seeking their responses after Tamil Nadu raised preliminary objections with regard to the maintainability of Vedanta's plea.

The Tamilnadu government had, on 28 May, ordered the State Pollution Control Board to seal and "permanently" close the mining group's copper plant following violent protests over pollution concerns.

In April, the Tamil Nadu Pollution Control Board had rejected Sterlite's plea to renew the consent to operate certification, saying the company had not complied with the stipulated conditions.

Following this, the government issued a permanent closure notice to the plant.

Vedanta's plea in the NGT seeks permission to operate the unit and a direction to declare as unlawful and illegal the exercise of powers by the Tamilnadu government in passing the closure order under section 18(1)(b) of the Water Act.

Sterlite's factory had made headlines in March 2013 when a gas leak led to the death of one person and injuries to several others, after which the then chief minister J Jayalalithaa had ordered its closure.

The company had then appealed to the NGT, which had overturned the government order. The State moved the Supreme Court against it and the case is still pending.

The Supreme Court had ordered the company to pay Rs 100 crore as compensation for polluting the environment.

Following the latest protests and police firing, the plant was closed on 27 March.

After Sterlite announced its plans to expand the Thoothukudi plant, villagers around it started fresh protests that continued for over 100 days, culminating in the 22 May police firing on protesters that claimed 13 lives and left scores injured.


ngt allows sterlite to access thoothukudi administrative unit sterlite copper smelting unit in thoothukudi newstoday sterlite violence in thoothukudi newstoday tamil nadu news tamil nadu pollution control board thoothukudi anti sterlite protest news Thoothukudi firing news tn news tnpcb