Elephant found electrocuted in TN

By PTI Published on May 05, 2018 11:12 AM IST

Representative image

Erode: A male elephant was electrocuted after coming into contact with an illegal high voltage electrified fence put up around a farm in the Sathyamangalam Tiger Reserve (STR) in this district, Forest officials said yesterday.

The pachyderm, believed to be 11 years old, was found dead yesterday in Neithalapuram village near Thalawady and a veterinarian declared it had died of electrocution, officials said.

A case had been registered against the farm owner, Karuppana Gounder, who is reportedly absconding, they said. Some farmers in forest fringes put up such fences, which are illegal, to prevent wild animals from damaging crops.

Though rules permit energising fences with low voltage to give a mild shock to animals to prevent them from entering farms, often the farmers resort to installing 230 volt fencing, which result in fatalities. There have been several incidents in Tamilnadu in the past of elephants and other animals being electrocuted after coming into contact with such fences. In some instances, farm owners have been arrested.