Chennai: There is happy news for rail commuters travelling on the Chennai – Tambaram – Chengalpet – Tirumalpur route, as the Chennai Division of Southern Railway is gearing up to induct three-phase EMUs into service.
According to a press release, the EMUs will be introduced in the passenger services after completion of statutory trial runs between Tambaram-Chengalpet and the date of introduction will be notified later.
Southern Railway general manager R K Kulshreshta visited the EMU car shed at Tambaram on Tuesday for commissioning the new EMU rail coach that is manufactured by Integral Coach Factory (ICF) and handed over to the car shed.
Kulshreshta was accompanied by principal chief mechanical engineer of Southern Railway A K Kathpal and divisional railway manager of Chennai Division Naveen Gulati during the visit to Tambaram.
The new, 12-car rake comprising four units are provided with many additional features for better passenger journey and also for ladies compartment.
The EMU will have seating capacity of 1,168 with standing passengers at 4,852 numbers. The maximum speed of the train will be 105 kmph.
* Coaches are fabricated with stainless steel body and provided with electronic sensors for computer monitored speed control and braking system.
* Energy efficient and higher hauling capacity.
* LED indication for chain pulling.
* Regeneration of 30 per cent power during braking for conservation of energy.
* Smooth speed control by VVVF technology for comfortable riding.
* Event recorder for recording the data of train operation and other train control systems.
* Surveillance cameras (CCTV) in ladies coaches to strengthen security for women passengers.
* GPS-based Passenger Information System for announcement of stations and display as well.
* LED-based lighting for better illumination and energy conservation.
* Stainless steel body coaches for aesthetic appearance, better durability and safety.
* Emergency stop button in cabin for immediate stop, during emergency situations.