Chennai: The Income-Tax raids which began yesterday at places connected to sidelined AIADMK leaders V K Sasikala and T T V Dhinakaran across the State, continued today.
Sources revealed that the inspection was over in 40 places and is continuing in 147 locations with more than 355 people under the scanner.
“Close to 317 bank accounts of Sasikala’s friends and relatives are being checked,” sources added.
Highly-placed sources say that the raids will continue till Monday. The searches are being carried out by a strong contingent of 1,800 staff members panning out to various locations.
The I-T department began opening lockers in banks from yesterday. “By evening most of the private banks closed; so, today we are continuing with checking bank lockers mostly in branches of Axis Bank and Tamilnadu Mercantile Bank at Saidapet and Kottivakkam,” said an official.
BJP State head Tamilisai Soundararajan said it is not right to say that the I-T raids have political backing.
“The raids are conducted only when the officials suspect someone. People should appreciate the move of the I-T department when they bring the corrupt under the radar,” she added.
Similarly, Minister D Jayakumar said the Income-Tax Department conducts raids based on information gathered.
He also denied that the State government had a role in the raids.
Some important locations where raids happened today:
* Jaya TV and Namadhu MGR offices.
* Residences of Dhinakaran’s relatives including Krishnapriya and Vivek.
* Jazz Cinemas in Velacheri.
* Dhivakaran’s office, residence and 13 places of his supporters.
* Kodanad green tea estate.
* Sasikala’s advocate Senthil’s residence.
* Dhinakaran’s farm house in Auroville.
* Lakshmi Jewellery in Puducherry.
* Close to 317 bank accounts being checked
* 1,800 staff members at work
* 280 witnesses from other departments roped in
* Land documents worth crores seized
* 635 other documents scanned