Vinayaka idols immersed in sea, 20K cops on duty

By NT Bureau Published on Sep 16, 2018 02:49 PM IST

Chennai: Over 2,500 idols of Lord Ganesha erected at various pandals across the city as part of Vinayaka Chathurthi, were taken out on procession and immersed in sea today, amidst tight security.

Yesterday, several hundred idols of Lord Ganesha from Manali, Vilivakkam, Red Hills, Vyasarpadi, Triplicane, Koyambedu, Porur and RK Nagar were immersed at Forshore Estate, Srinivasapuram, Kasimedu, Thiruvottriyur shores after a long procession on the route permitted by the city police.

Today, over 2,500 idols were immersed and over 20,000 cops were deployed across the city to maintain vigil. Police had fixed cameras at various places to monitor movement.

Hundreds of trucks queued up for a crane that picked up the idols to be dropped into the Bay of Bengal.

The city police had made elaborate security arrangements ahead of the processions. The traffic police announced that they would effect traffic diversion on Kamarajar Road and Santhome High Road.

As more idols were immersed at Srinivasapuram, Foreshore Estate, roads from Labour Statue to Greenways Point, Loop Road near Santhome, South Canal Bank Road and Kutchery Road saw huge traffic queue up as trucks moved at a snails pace.

Alternate arrangements were made for vehicles coming from Wallajah Road, Bharati Salai, Besant Road, RK Salai, Kutchery Road and South Canal Bank road towards Kamarajar Salai and Santhome High Road.


Two youths drowned while another was rescued after falling into Bhavani River while immersing a Lord Ganesh idol in Salem, police said.

The incident occurred on Saturday night when the three, part of a 20-member group from Mummurthynagar in neighbouring Tirupur, slipped and fell into the swirling waters while immersing the big idol at Kallipatty village.

A 23-year old man was rescued while the other two, aged 16 and 22, drowned, police said. Meanwhile, as many as 108 Vinayagar idols kept at different places in the region were taken in a procession and immersed in Cauvery River around 10 pm yesterday, the police said.